What should I do if something goes wrong with my healthcare?

Jan 17, 2024 | Medical Negligence

The Personal Injury People

If something has gone wrong with healthcare for you or a loved one, you may be entitled to compensation. 

Even though thousands of healthcare professionals are successfully trained every year in the UK, mistakes still happen at all levels, leaving patients seriously injured or even, in the worst cases, negligence can lead to death. 

It is difficult to imagine yourself in these circumstances; however, if you are unfortunate enough to face an injury, or worse, you will want your questions answered, your mind put at ease and costs and losses covered. 

In this article, The Personal Injury People guide you through what to do should you or your loved one suffer an injury due to negligent healthcare. 

Contact the local Patient Advice and Liaison Service

The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) offers confidential advice, support and information on health-related matters and acts as a point of contact. 

It can help you with health-related questions, help resolve issues associated with the NHS, and provide information on how to get independent advice if you want to make a complaint to the NHS. 

You should first complain to the person or organisation providing the service, such as the GP, dentist, hospital or pharmacist. 

Where you have been the victim of medical negligence, you should make your complaint as soon as possible. In all cases, you should record as much information as you can and make a note of the staff members involved, as well as anyone present who may be able to act as a witness. 

Complaining promptly will not only mean that the details of the incident(s) are fresh in your mind but there is a 12-month limitation for bringing a complaint, running from the date of treatment. 

Following your initial meeting with PALS, you should contact The Personal Injury People if you haven’t already. We will advise you on the next steps for you to take. 

Complaining about a Serious Incident

If you have been the victim of a serious incident in a hospital, the hospital should commence a Serious Incident Investigation (SII) with the purpose of ensuring the incident has been appropriately identified, investigated and considered so that similar circumstances do not reoccur. 

When you speak to The Personal Injury People following an instance of serious injury in the hospital, we will do all we can to identify any Breach of Duty, ease financial pressure from you and your loved ones, obtain the appropriate compensation and allow you to focus on recovery. 

Making a Medical Negligence Claim

As the victim of an injury as a result of a mistake or negligence in a healthcare setting, it can be overwhelming to know where to turn for support. 

Although there are public bodies in place, such as the local Patient Advice and Liaison Service and regulatory bodies, such as the General Medical Council (GMC) and Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC), you may still feel as though you are on your own which is why it is essential to speak to an independent legal advisor like us. 

To speak to our team of experienced medical negligence solicitors today, please call 0800 731 7555, email info@thepersonalinjurypeople.co.uk or fill in this contact form